Investigation of DPA in the reactor pressure vessel of VVER-1000/V320
Main Article Content
The most important ageing effect on the reactor pressure vessel (RPV) is radiation embrittlement, which is mainly caused by fast neutrons during operation lifetime of nuclear reactors. The aim of this study was to investigate the DPA (displacement per atom) rate, an important parameter describing radiation damage to the RPV, and identify the position of the maximum DPA rate in the RPV of the VVER-1000/V320 reactor using the Monte Carlo code MCNP5. To reduce statistical errors in the MCNP5 simulation, the weight window technique was applied to non-repeated structures outside the reactor core. The results showed the distribution of the DPA rate in the RPV and the maximum DPA rate was found to be at the first millimeters of the RPV. Consequently, these calculations could be useful for assessment of radiation damage to the RPV of VVER reactors.
VVER, reactor pressure vessel embrittlement, DPA rate, weight window technique
2. OECD/NEA State-of-the-art Report, "Computing Radiation Dose to Reactor Pressure Vessel and Internals," NEA/NSC/DOC (96)5, 1996.
3. B. Boehmer, J. Konheiser, K. Noack, A. Rogov, G.Borodkin, E. Polke, P. Vladimirov, “Neutron and gamma fluence and radiation damage parameters of ex-corecomponents of Russian and German light water reactors”. Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Reactor Dosimetry, 18-23 August 2002 in Brussels, Belgium. World Scientific Publishing Co. ISBN #9789812705563, 286-294, 2003.
4. J. A.Mascitti and M. Madariaga,"Method for the Calculation of DPA in the Reactor Pressure Vessel of Atucha II," Science and Technology of Nuclear Installations, Volume 2011, Article ID 534689, 2011.
5. G.Borodkin, B.Boehmer, K.Noack, and N.Khrennikov. "Balakovo-3 VVER-1000 EX-vessel neutron dosimetry benchmark experiment," Forschungszentrum Rossendorfe.V, Moscow - Dresden, November 2002.
6. X-5 Monte Carlo Team, MCNP5 - A General Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code - Volume I, II, III, Version 5,Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-UR-03-1987, Apirl 24, 2003.
7. S.L. Campbell, J.P. Chancelier, and R. Nikoukhah, Modeling and Simulation in Scilab/Scicos, Springer, 2000.
8. Preliminary Assessment of the Impact on Reactor Vessel dpa Rates Due to Installation of a Proposed Low Enriched Uranium (LEU) Core in the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), prepared by Oak Ridge National Laboratory, managed by UT-BATTELLE, LLC for the US DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY, Charles Daily, ORNL/SPR-2015/263, October 2015.
9. A Sample Problem for Variance Reduction in MCNP, Thomas Booth Los Alamos National Lab. Report: LA-10363-MS, 1985.