Influence of adult diet and exposure to methyl eugenol in the mating performance of Bactrocera correcta
Main Article Content
The Guava fruit fly Bactrocera correcta is serious pest attacking Dragon fruit (Hylocereus undatus and Hylocereus polyrhizus ). The study on the impact of (i) Protein in adult diet on sexual maturity of Guava fruit fly; (ii) Methyl eugenol (ME) feeding on sterilized male of Guava fruit fly; and (iii) Longevity of sterilized males and females feeding on different diets. All those trials were conducted for both sterile males and laboratory flies reared at Plant Protection Research Institute, Hanoi, Viet Nam. The initial results showed that the first age of sexual maturation of laboratory reared females are 7 days old and 8 days old when fed on a mix diet of hydrolyzed yeast: sugar (1:4) and only sugar diet, respectively. Four days after emergence, females on hydrolyzed yeast fed diet died. The highest percentage of mating for the period of 20 first days after emergence was recorded 7.19% at 11 days old of flies fed on sugar; 40.08% at 10 days old of flies fed on hydrolyzed yeast and sugar. The longevity of sterilized males was 30.7 days, 28.1 days and 3.2 days as feeding on mix of hydrolyzed yeast: sugar, sugar only and hydrolyzed yeast alone, respectively. Likewise, the longevity of females was 32.5 days on hydrolyzed yeast: sugar diet, 30.5 days on sugar only diet and 3.7 days on hydrolyzed yeast only diet. The percentage of sterile males feeding on ME at 3 days old was only 5% and reached 40% at 8 days old with feeding times of 44 seconds and 4 minutes 27 seconds respectively.
Bactrocera correcta, Dragon fruit, Methyl eugenol, sterile fly sexual maturity
2. Shelly T.E., Kennelly S.S. and McInnis DO., “Effect of adult diet on signaling activity, male attraction and mating success in male Mediterranean fruit flies (Diptera: Tephritidae)”, Fla. Entomol. 85,150–155, 2002.
3. Yuval B, Maor M, Levy K., Kaspi R, Taylor P. and Shelly T., “Breakfast of champions or kiss of death? Survival and sexual performance of protein-fed, sterile Mediterranean fruit flies (Diptera: Tephritidae)”, Fla. Entomologist 90,115-122, 2007.
4. Perez-Staples D., Weldon CW., Smallridge C. and Taylor PW., “Pre-release feeding on yeast hydrolysate enhances sexual competitiveness of sterile male Queensland fruit flies in field cages”, Ent. Exp. Appl. 131, 159–166, 2009.
5. Pereira R.., B. Yuval, P. Liedo, P.E.A.Teal. T.E. Shelly. D.O. Mclnnis and J. Hendrichs, “Improving sterile male performance in support of programmes integrarating the sterile insect technique against fruit flies”, J. Appl. Entomol. 137 (Suppl. 1), 178-190, 2013.
6. Shelly T.E., “Consumption of methyl eugenol by male B. dorsalis (Diptera: Tephritdae): low incidence of repeat feeding”. Fla Entomologist 77: 201-208, 1994.
7. Shelly T.E., Dewire A.M., “Chemically mediated mating success in male Oriental fruit flies, B. dorsalis (Diptera: Tephritidae)”, Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 88, 883–886, 1994.
8. Shelly T.E., Villalobos E.M., “Cue lure and the mating behavior of melon flies (Diptera: Tephritidae)”, Fla. Entomol. 78, 473–482, 1995.
9. Wee SL, Tan KH, “Temporal accumulation of phenylpropanoids in male fruit flies, B. dorsalis and B. carambolae (Diptera Tephritidae) following methyl eugenol consumption”, Chemoecology 17, 81–85, 2007.
10. Wee S.L. and Tan K.H., “Sexual maturity and intraspecific mating success of two sibling species of the Bactocera dorsalis complex“, Ent. Exp. Appl. 94, 133-139, 2000.
11. Le Đuc Khanh, Nguyen Thi Thanh Hien, Vu Van Thanh, Vu Thi Thuy Trang, Final report of VIE 5017 project: Supporting Area-Wide integrated Pest Management to improve the quality of fruit fly for export, 2015.
12. Võ Văn Huy, Võ Thị Lan và Hoàng Trọng, , Ứng dụng SPSS for Windows để xử lý và phân tích dữ liệu nghiên cứu, Nhà xuất bản Khoa học kỹ thuật, Hà Nội, 1997.
13. Obra G.B., Resilva S.B., “Influence of adult diet and exposure to methyl eugenol in the mating performance of Bactrocera philippinensis ”, J. Appl. Entomol. 137 (Suppl. 1), 210–216, 2013.
14. Orankanok Watchreeporn, Chinvinijkul, S., Sawatwangkhoung, A., Pinkaew, S., Orankanok, S., “Methyl eugenol and pre-release diet improve mating performance of young Bactrocera dorsalis and Bactrocera correcta males”, J. Appl. Entomol. 137, 200–209, 2013.
15. Hee AKW, Tan K.H., “Bioactive fractions containing methyl eugenol- derived sex pheromonal components in haemolymph of the male fruit fly Bactrocera dorsalis (Diptera: Tephritidae)”, Bull. Entomol. Res. 95, 615-620, 2005.
16. Hee AK-W and Tan K.H., “Attraction of female and male Bactrocera papayae to conspecific males fed with methyl eugenol and attraction of females to male sex pheromone components”, J. Chem. Eco. 24, 753-764, 1998.
17. Hee AKW, Tan K.H., “Transport of methyl eugenol derived sex pheromonal components in the male fruit, Bactrocera dorsalis”, J. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. C Toxicol. Pharmacol.143, 422-428, 2006.